Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Happy Easter

One year ago we were wrapping up loose ends---getting Zach's schedule ready for family & friends to care for him while we were in China; packing our suitcases for China; wondering what size of clothes Mason would be wearing; trying to hold back the excitement of FINALLY get to meet our son.

So much has happened since last Easter. Mason joined our family. He has blossomed into his own unique being. That somber, serious, scared boy is one of the past. He is now Mr Jokester & Mr Arnery.  He is constantly talking now a days. We don't always know what he's saying, but that doesn't stop him! He loves to ride his bike. He continues to love vehicles of any sort. He can make sound affects for pretty much any vehicle there is.

The little guy has gotten jipped out of his celebrations since he's been home though. His birthday party was low key and involved a "pudding" cake since he had just had his palate repaired. His upcoming Gotcha Day Celebrataion (April 9) will be hindered a bit as well, as he'll be recovering from his next surgery. He's having his pharyngeal flap surgery (along with ear tubes and repair of fistula) on April 2.  We'll still find some low key way to celebrate--probably involving ice cream!

Check out how he's changed in the last year. These stuffed animals are the only ones that have NOT changed in the last 12 months:



For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations. Psalm  100:5

It's cool when I stop and think about how God's timing to bring Mason into our lives was during the celebration of Easter. Last Easter was the first Easter that I truly understood the meaning of Easter. For so many years Easter had been about going to church and being reminded of God's love for me.....that I somehow deserved his love because of all I had done for him---you know, serving others at church, adopting two orphans, being a good person. What I came to realize a year ago was that I was far from deserving of God's love. I was (and still am) a sinner. I deserved to die. All the "good" things I did in my life did not matter to God. The only way I could be made right with God was for Christ to die for me, and for me to embrace Him as my Lord & Savior.  For Ephesians 2:8-9 says that "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." What an eye opener! It is so backwards from what our society tells us---be a good person and you'll go far. Not in the case of eternal life. Being good will not bring eternal life.

My prayer this Easter is for you to come to understand the true meaning of Easter. That your eyes, ears and hearts would come to understand why that cross was so important. And boy, is it ever freeing and life changing! Happy Easter!


No comments: